Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: C question..Another one...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: C question..Another one...
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 02:55:22 -0500

I don't know a whole lot about programming with special terminal graphics.
A lot of people just use a system call for clearing the screen (which
really just finds out how many lines are in the window and prints that many
blank lines). I believe there is something called curses that is used to
program things, such as the tetris you can play in a telnet window.

A trick I've used before is to use the backslash b character ('\b') in C
programs. It is the same effect as deleting the last character printed. If
you output the date, then print an equal number of '\b' characters, you
will erase what you just printed. It does flicker a little bit, but will do
the job. I can't remember if there is another character for line feed or
negative (upward) line feed.

HTH,
John