Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: C question..Another one...

To: ACLUG <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: C question..Another one...
From: Jeff Schaller <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 06:56:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Michael Holmes wrote:

> Does ANSI C++ offer an include file which includes cursor
> placement (i.e. locate) and a clear screen.  All the books I
> have just show old /n /f /t stuff I put the slashes backwards
> as not to mess with the mail programs.

#include <curses.h>
man ncurses

I'm not sure if it's ANSI (oh shoot, and it's not even C++), but
this is from the manpage:
"
       The  ncurses  routines  emulate  the curses(3X) library of
       System V Release 4 UNIX, and the XPG4 curses standard (XSI
       curses)  but the ncurses library is freely redistributable
       in source form.
"

> I must be able to put the current time on the bottom left
> corner of the screen, with out it blinking!

Easy enough to do: create and use (at least) two windows:
the main top window (everything except the bottom line) and
one one-line window at the bottom. Position & write the date
in the 2nd window whenever you want.

> Also, to write data out the /dev/ttyS1 in the program you just
> use fopen(/dev/ttyS1) ?  Right? It has been a few years since
> I have had to sit down and use the comm port.  I need to set
> it up at 11k to a Windoz box, and it will send data packets to
> the windoz box.

Not having done any serial communications programs, I can't say
for sure, but if you grab the source code to minicom or seyon,
they should give you good hints.

-jeff
--
It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by