Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: FW: Debian GNU/Linux 2.2, the "Joel 'Espy' Klecker" releas

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FW: Debian GNU/Linux 2.2, the "Joel 'Espy' Klecker" release
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:15:41 -0500

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Dale wrote:
> Finally! It's here!!
>
> -dwh

<snip>

> Upgrades to Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 from earlier releases are
> automatically handled by the apt package management tool.  As always,
> Debian GNU/Linux systems can be upgraded painlessly, in place, with no
> downtime.  For detailed documentation about installing and upgrading
> Debian GNU/Linux, please see <http://www.debian.org/releases/2.2/>.

<snip>

Um...what planet was the person that wrote THIS from? I've heard nothing but
nightmare stories about people trying to upgrade Debian. I think I could like
Debian if they've made dselect easier to deal with (maybe added some "typical
installation" type preset packages so you don't have to select...and configure
every little thing). How's it looking in that dept these days? I could care
less about a glitzy graphical install wizard thing like RedHat & Mandrake are
trying to do, I just want something that can be set up and configured quickly
and easily without having a 2 week learning curve on how to use the package
manager.

Not saying any of the other distros are much better. I upgraded Mandrake 6.2
to 7.0 on my main home machine awhile back and it totally broke my networking
(both local AND ppp). I'm afraid to upgrade to 7.1, I don't have time to try
and fix it...

Greg