Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: TCL vs PERL

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: TCL vs PERL
From: "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 23:09:01 -0500

What I saw at the "Perl" TCL vs Perl advocacy page  was two articles making a
comparison that were written  3 to 4 years ago. Two (lack of) features about
TCL that were pointed out were added to TCL as of August 1997 (TCL Version
8.0).  TCL is now up to version 8.4.

The added feature to TCL V8.0 are:
1. On-the-fly byte code compiler that improves performance of scripts from 2
to 20 times.
2. Support of binary data (read binary data into TCL variables).

So the Perl comparison of the two is pretty  old and obsolete.

I also noted that the Perl site is hosted by O'Reilly & Associates. This could
possibly explain why O'Reilly does not dominate the TCL/TK book tittles at the
book stores (Prentice Hall does).

TCL was designed by John Ousterhout of the University of California, Berkeley,
in 1988.
He later moved to Sun Microsystems. Then in The Mid 90's, spun off into a new
company called Scriptics (now Ajuba Solutions). They do B2B stuff using TCL
based web tools.
(AOL, by the way, uses TCL as their web scripting language).

It seems to me that O'Reilly (Perl) and Ajuba (TCL) being two "for profit"
companies, may be competing with each other.

So....  take a look inside the latest issue of Linux Journal (July 2000).
There are a couple of featured scientific applications that use TCL (screen
shots included).

As a Linux  user (3 years) who hasn't messed with any programming language
since using AREXX on the Amiga (in 1993), I was looking for a nice easy
scripting language to play around with. It seems to me that TCL would make a
nice choice.  That's all. No flames requested, please.

P.S. Check out:     www.rebol.com      It's a NEW scripting language... may
try it someday.

James G.