Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Finally! mail with linux

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Finally! mail with linux
From: Bruce Alderman <baa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:55:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Bruce Bales wrote:
>I would like to try a text based mail program to see just how it would look and
>feel.  I can't visualize looking back thru 50 or 100 e-mails in text mode for
>the
>one from "Charley" last Christmas to get his address or try to re-read what he
>said about Aunt Tillie.

I use pine.  I don't think it's much different from a GUI-based
email reader in look and feel.  Then again, I've only used
Netscape a few times, and am not familiar with other GUI mail
programs.

With pine, you can save Charley's address in the address book,
and/or save his email to a "Charley" folder for later reference.

>Can text-mode bring up a web page?

Not directly, although you can configure pine to call lynx, a
text-based web browser, for your viewing pleasure.  I've been
using lynx for four years -- much longer than I've been running
Linux -- and I don't think there's a better web browser
available for any platform.  YMMV.

--
Bruce Alderman                   baa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          http://www2.southwind.net/~baa