Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: I am a smeghead (Letter of apology)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: I am a smeghead (Letter of apology)
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:48:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, James wrote:

> I think that a sister group that starts with basically all newbies and starts
> working up might be a good idea, and if some of the gurus drop in to give
> presentations sometimes, then all the better. But, it should basically be a
> seperate group whose members  organize things and go on their own voyage of
> discovery. The ACLUG should try to recrute as many people from the community
> as possible, and get them together and let them go on pretty much their own.

This "sister group" would do one of two things, I think.... Evolve into an
advanced group, leaving you with two advanced groups and no beginners
group.  Or as I suggested earlier, it's going to fail utterly as a social
group because the whole goal of the group is to advance its members into a
different group.  (My experience in and study of small group dynamics
bears this out.  All non-profit groups like this are social groups and
require a stable social factor to survive.)

Dividing resources when already resource-poor seems counter-productive.
And while you want to let the new group go on its own, you also expect the
old group to contribute their expertise.  I don't see that as working,
especially when there's little incentive for emotional or social
attachment to the new group by old group members.

I think ACLUG simply needs to pay a proper amount of attention to
beginners needs.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Windows isn't crippleware: it's Functionally Challenged.