Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: mandrake 7 install

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: mandrake 7 install
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:53:21 -0500

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> the new install manager for mandrake wants to create a 32
> meg ramdisk for the install process.
> I only have 32meg on the machine so it does not get to far.
>
> I've seen the new install and it looks very impressive but
> do they provide a low memory install?

I don't know about a low-memory, but they still have a more traditional "cmd
line" style installer. That's what gets used if your video card isn't up to
running the graphical installation. I remember reading that there was a way to
instruct it to use the cmd line version rather then the graphical, but I can't
remember how to do it right now. Check the Mandrake install guide, it shouldn't
be too hard to find.

I'd look for you, but for some reason my system won't eject the CD that's in it
while Linux is up and running. The eject command says the device is busy, but
it's not mounted. I don't think I installed an automounter, and I can mount
and dismount it either from the cmd line or from KDE's cdrom icon...but I can't
eject it (the eject button on the drive won't work either).

[Oh yeah, the reason that's important is because I'd need to put the Mandrake
7.0 CD into the drive to look at it. I have the CD, but I haven't installed it
on this system yet, still Mandrake 6.0.]

Greg