Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Whining and bickering--and assistance to newbies

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Whining and bickering--and assistance to newbies
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 12:04:13 -0500

Michael Holmes wrote:

> I have half a dozen linux manuals, as my schedule permits (full time work and
> college) I will answer any question I can look up in the books.  I an bearly
> over newbie, but, I am not too proud to look up an answer.  It may take a day
> or two, but I will help, as I too have found it very hard to get answers. John
> G. is about the only one who has been faithful in providing assistance.  I
> usually look for my answer on sunday night when he logs on.  I still have to
> figure out how to put a linux workstation on a NT network!

About the only thing I did was to put all of the local machines IP addresses
and names into the hosts files. For Linux this is /etc/hosts. For Windows NT,
look for hosts or hosts.sam somewhere under C:\winnt. hosts.sam is a sample
of what a hosts file might look like. This should be enough to let you ping
both ways, and to run ftp/telnet on NT and connect to the Linux box. (You may
also have to work with /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny, depending on how
security is set up on the Linux box.)

Of course, there's much more that _could_ be done, but that's as far as I've
pushed it. I don't use NT, and my NT user is happy just having telnet/ftp.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull@xxxxxxxxxxx * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/