Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Whining and bickering--and assistance to newbies

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Whining and bickering--and assistance to newbies
From: John Alexander <johnalexander@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:29:20 -0500

Actually, the lm on lmhosts is shorthand for lan manager. It is capable of
holding some configuration tags that are not typically used on bsd style
networking systems, such as:

#pre            pre-loads the entry into the arp cache
#domain         name of the authenticating NT or Lan Manager domain
#wins           entry for Windows Internet Name Server

I think it's interesting that they use the #, which is typically reserved for
comments in the hosts file, so you could probably take the lmhosts file that
you have developed, and use it on the BSD boxes with minimal editing.

ja

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, you
wrote: > On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, you wrote: > > Michael Holmes wrote: > >>I still
have to > > > figure out how to put a linux workstation on a NT network! > >