Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: How do I access my computer from school?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: How do I access my computer from school?
From: Brian Chapman <tchapman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:24:01 -0600

At 3/15/00 10:52 AM , Patrick R. Klee wrote:
> I was wanting to do an experiment with SSH.  How can I find out what my
IP
> is
> from my computer, so I can access my computer?  With KPPP in Red Hat, I
> could
> just click details, but I am using Red Hat's PPP dialer, I thought I
could
> do a
> WHOIS or a PING to find out.
>
> Help!  :-)
>
> Patrick

I used to have my /etc/ppp/ip-up script post my dynamic IP to a secret
html file at my ISP. Then I could just check the page to find out where my
computer was.

BTW, the ip-up script get's passed the IP address as one of its arguments
(like $1 or $4), but maybe its different now, i forget, thats when i used
to use slackware. i think i still have my old scripts around here
somewhere if your interested in an example.