Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Internet connection speed

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Internet connection speed
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 01:02:36 -0600

There's no may about it. Iptraf will show you what kind of IP traffic is
crossing your links and how fast it's getting there.  You can look at the
gerneral traffic statistics for each interface, or detailed statistics on a
single interface, or run the traffic monitor where you can see the source -
destination - packets - bytes for those interfaces.  It's a really neat tool.
If the interface is handling IP traffic, then this tool will let you monitor it.

Another tool you can use to monitor a cable or dsl setup is MRTG - the Multi
Router Traffic Grapher.  This app polls your interfaces via snmp at 5 minute
intervals and builds a graph of the traffic.  It won't show you instantanious
traffic flow, but you'd be surprised at what traffic can look like over a 24
hour period - or longer, since MRTG makes daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly
graphs.

--dwh