Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Internet connection speed

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Internet connection speed
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 14:00:35 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Wayne White wrote:

> You guys have me wondering if there is something that will do
> the same thing for a cable connection to the internet. Is
> there such a critter?

The program Dale mentioned may do it; if I was gonna get curious
about it, I'd do:
while :
do
        /sbin/ifconfig interface | grep out RX & TX packets
        do some math on current_RX versus previous_RX
        sleep 1/5/10 seconds
done

Keeping in mind that all this (and I think any) program
is going to show is you is how many packets (and thus
bytes) you're putting onto the line, and not necessarily the
maximum capacity of the line (although you could infer a few
things).

--
If disaster strikes, it's God's wrath -- quote the Old Testament.
But if nothing happens, God is merciful -- quote the New Testament.