Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: tux.takes.flight

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: tux.takes.flight
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:02:55 -0600

Logos in general:

Effective logos are usually simple pictures or graphics. Most logos have a
color version, but are also capable of being reproduced in a two color
(black & white) version, depending on where it will be used. For example,
if we wanted to print T-shirts that were cheap enough we could give them
away or sell in a practical volume, we'd probably want as simple of a logo
as we could get. Of course, we could use the fancy version on the web site
and letterheads, etc. It really depends on where we can see using the logo.
The "less is more" theory really applies to logos.

Comments about the graphic:

To simplify it a bit, I'd suggest removing the upper wing, and viewing more
from the side of the plane. I'd then shrink the plane's length down so it
fits entirely within the picture, and make Tux bigger, removing the second
penguin (Tux2?). I know this would make the plane look less real looking,
and it would probably offend a lot of plane enthusiasts/purists, but hey,
this is a Linux Users Group that happens to be located in the Air Capitol,
not a group of plane enthusiasts who just happen to dabble in Linux. Both
parts are important, but the Linux part should have just a wee bit more
importance.

I like the picture itself. It's quite cool. How did you make it? I assume
it's modeled, so you could change the view angle.

John