Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: BNC to twisted pair converter?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: BNC to twisted pair converter?
From: <Todd_Lundstedt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:02:53 -0600

Or.. if you wanna go really cheap and jerry-rigged, get a small hub that has a
BNC connector and RJ45 connectors on it.  I am sure I could sell you mine for
under $300.
;)

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          bobd@cssgroup|
|        |          .com         |
|        |                       |
|        |          02/14/00     |
|        |          09:52 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          discussion   |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     discussion@xxxxxxxxx                                         |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Todd Lundstedt/VCHS)                                   |
  |       Subject:     [aclug-L] Re: BNC to twisted pair converter?            |

John Reinke wrote:

> This is a long shot, but I figured I'd ask:
>
> At school, my office has only a coax network connection. I was thinking
> about hooking my laptop up in my office, but it only has a builtin RJ45
> (twisted pair) jack. I imagine this might not be cheap, but has anyone
> heard of a little connector/converter that would allow me to hook my laptop
> up to a coax cable?

They are *expensive* in most cases...  Last time I saw one new, they
where running about $300 or so.

I'd sugest you get a network card that supports both types of
interface.  I beleive 3 com has one that does that for under $300.

> Thanks,
> John

      -=  Bob =-
Hey.. This is my mail and I charge for SPAM I receive...