Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: BNC to twisted pair converter?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: BNC to twisted pair converter?
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:40:09 -0600

I have a gadget called a "Ethernet 10BaseT Transceiver", a tiny box that has a
coax cable connector (not a BNC) on one end, and an RJ45 connector on the other.
This gadget cost me approx. $50. I bought it at a Circuit City in NJ about two
years ago. Aside from being "Made in Taiwan", it doesn't seem to have a brand
name or anything. Presumably you have the tap from the main coax cable. If your
tap ends in a BNC connector, you'd need something different -- perhaps a used
hub?

A quick check at www.pcconnection.com shows a "EtherLAN 10baseT to AUI
transceiver"
for $22.95. That sounds pretty much like what I have. They also have AUI-BNC
tranceivers in the same price range, but I don't see BNC to 10baseT.

John Reinke wrote:

> This is a long shot, but I figured I'd ask:
>
> At school, my office has only a coax network connection. I was thinking
> about hooking my laptop up in my office, but it only has a builtin RJ45
> (twisted pair) jack. I imagine this might not be cheap, but has anyone
> heard of a little connector/converter that would allow me to hook my laptop
> up to a coax cable?
>
> Thanks,
> John

/*