Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: SCSI tape drive recommendation

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SCSI tape drive recommendation
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Feb 2000 13:58:51 -0600

Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > The 8mm tapes hold more data.  Of course, both continually increase in
> > capacity.  What was once only available in 8mm is not available in 4mm
> > too.

Typo there, the "not" should have been "now".

> > You'll want to check out both to see which is least expensive and most
> > appropriate for your needs.
> >

> How reliable are used drives?  Should we just bite the bullet and buy
> new?

Visually inspect them and see if they look clean.  If there's alot of
dust, or if the internal mechanisms are dirty, avoid it.  Otherwise,
you'll be oK.  Drives can last for many years if they're maintained properly.

John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |