Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: SCSI tape drive recommendation

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SCSI tape drive recommendation
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:45:54 -0600 (CST)

On 10 Feb 2000, John Goerzen wrote:

> The downsides are that tape drives are slow compared to hard drives,

Kind of sad that backup solutions have become more expensive than on-line
storage (hard drives).  It'd be cheaper to throw a second drive into the
box and backup to it.  (Not mirror... most of the time I restore a file,
it's becasue I deleted something I didn't want to, and mirroring wouldn't
help that.)  My only problem with that approach is that anything external
(power surge, failed controller, whatever) could kill both drives.

Right now I backup to CD... but the CD-R is in my Windoze box (can't give
up some Windoze apps, so I run an X emulator on it) and right now FTP my
tar files over.  I'm up to three CD's for a full backup and would like to
back up one section on a daily basis.  But a tape drive is just too
expensive, even after the long-term costs of CD-R.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Squirt guns don't squirt people, kids do.