Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Whoohoooo!!!!!!!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Whoohoooo!!!!!!!!
From: The Kurgan <Kurgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:23:09 -0600

Microsoft's Gates Gives Up CEO Role

Reuters Photo

REDMOND, Wash. (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (NasdaqNM:MSFT - news) said
Thursday co-founder Bill Gates was giving up the chief executive position at
the software giant and named long-time No. 2 Steve Ballmer to replace him in
the job.

Gates, who has served as CEO since he co-founded the company 25 years ago,
will remain chairman and take on the role of chief ``software architect.''

``I'm returning to what I love most -- focusing on technologies for the
future,'' Gates said at a news conference. ''Steve's promotion will allow me
to dedicate myself full-time to my passion -- building great software and
strategizing on the future, and nurturing and collaborating with the core
team helping Steve run the company.''

Ballmer, in one of his first declarations as chief executive, said it would
be ``reckless and irresponsible of anybody to try and break up this company
... a disservice to consumers.''

The news conference was called after a day of published reports and intense
rumors that the Justice Department and states would push for a breakup of
the world's leading software company.

Gates has led the Redmond-based company through a turbulent recent history,
capped by Judge Penfield Jackson's ruling last November that Microsoft used
monopoly powers to harm consumers, competitors and other companies.

Gates said he now would concentrate on issues of ``software architecture''
and his role as chairman overseeing the company's operations. He said he
remained committed to devoting his full time to the company.

Gates said concentrating on the chairman's job would ``allow me to spend
almost 100 percent of my time on these new software technologies.''

Microsoft said the transition would take place surrounding the release of
its new Windows 2000 operating system -- the successor of the NT system,
aimed at office and professional users.

Ballmer said he planned to concentrate on meeting ''heightened competition''
in the market that has emerged with the growth of non-PC computing and the
Internet.

Gates also said Ballmer would become a member of the Microsoft Corp. board
of directors, effective Jan. 27.

Best regards,

    Kurgan                           mailto:Kurgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx