Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Software Raid

To: aclug-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Software Raid
From: <tom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:09:07 -0600 (CST)

My advice to anyone thinking about setting up a software raid is don't
unless you have a very good ups, and the software setup to shutdown your
machine if there is a power loss.  I have found out that power loss on a
software raid is bad.  The Drives get out of sync, and you trash the
partition on top of the raid device.  I have learned this lesson the hard
way.  I have lost my drives have become out of sync twice since I have
had it in running, and this time the info is lost for good.  If I search
for a silver lining it would have to be that I have learned how to use
ext2 recovery tools like debugfs.

                                        Thomas Bloom