Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] ACLUG Meeting Jan 19, 2000

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] ACLUG Meeting Jan 19, 2000
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:34:41 -0600 (CST)

             Air Capital Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS
                          http://www.aclug.org/

EVENT SUMMARY
-------------
http://www.aclug.org/events/

 * Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - Linux File Server - Meeting Date
   Changed due to MLK Holiday

Contact:  aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Location: 7:00/7:30 PM in 260 Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
          This event is free and open to the public.  Please forward this
          message to anyone you feel may be interested in attending.

IN THIS BULLETIN
----------------

 * ACLUG meeting on Wednesday January 19
 * Other Business -  Game Day - Linux Demo - Logo Contest
 * Meeting schedule
 * Upcoming events
 * When to arrive: Meeting format
 * How to find us: Location information and links to maps
 * Contacts, Background information on ACLUG, and miscellaneous

ACLUG MEETING: WEDNESDAY JANUARY 19 - Date Change due to MLK Holiday
Linux File Server

Tonight's meeting will cover the basics of sharing files and printers
between a Linux Server and various clients, both Windows and Unix. We will
cover SAMBA, which allows sharing files/printers with Windows, and NFS,
which allows sharing files with UNIX clients.  As time permits, we may
also cover the CODA file system and RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive
Disks).

Tom Bloom will be the speaker for tonight's meeting.

OTHER BUSINESS
--------------
The ACLUG Staff is continuing to Demo Linux at the Saturday Sale, which is
held on the second Saturday of each month. February's Demo will be on the
12th, just a few days before Microsoft releases Windows 2000. We will be
joining with the greater Linux Community in educating more people on why
they should consider Linux as an alternative to Windows in a business
enviroment. Please consider dropping by and lending your support at the
Demo.

ACLUG is still planning on holding a Logo Contest. The ACLUG Staff feels
it's time come up with an offical ACLUG Logo, and will be inviting members
to submit designs for judging.  Official specifications and rules of the
contest will sent out in a separate annoucement.

The ACLUG Perl class is currently on hold. We are working out the details
and hope to be ready to begin the class in the next few weeks.

If you have suggestions for a future Workshop, or a topic for a
future meeting, please feel free to send your suggestions to
aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx

MEETING SCHEDULE
----------------

Pursuant to decisions made on August 16, 1999, ACLUG meetings will be
scheduled as follows:

 * Every other Monday Beginning August 30, at 7:00/7:30 PM

Meetings will be held in 260 Jabara Hall on the campus of Wichita State
University as always.  Details on the event schedule and upcoming events can
be found at http://www.aclug.org/events/; maps can be found at
http://www.aclug.org/maps/.

FUTURE ACLUG EVENTS
-------------------

Please send suggestions for future topics to aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx or mention
them at the meeting.  Consider this the ACLUG suggestion box! :-)

 +++ We need meeting topics and volunteer speakers for the meetings.+++

MEETING FORMAT REMINDER
-----------------------

One issue that has been somewhat troublesome is making presentations
interesting and useful for people with a wide range of Linux experiences.
We want our meetings to be useful for as many people as possible, so our
plan is this: For those of you that are starting out with Linux, or just
interested in what Linux can do, please feel free to join us at 7:00 PM on
each meeting date (every other Monday starting August 30th).  We'll cover
some basics about the evening's topic or Linux in general, or  have an
informal Q&A time, depending on what the people present prefer. Also,
if you have any Linux questions (beginning or advanced), we'd like to get to
them between 7 and 7:30 so that the evening doesn't get too late for those
that have to work or go to class in the morning.

Our regular presentation will begin at 7:30 as it always has.  Of course, if
you can make it at 7, you're encouraged to stay for the whole program.  You
are welcome to arrive at either 7 or 7:30.

LOCATION AND MAPS
-----------------

 We will hold the this event in the Computer Science Department in
Jabara Hall on the main east campus of Wichita State University.
ACLUG has assembled some driving instructions on the Web at
http://www.aclug.org/maps/.  We will be located on the second floor of
Jabara Hall.  We expect to be in room 260, but we'll be sure to post
signs if we need to relocate elsewhere.  You'll be able to find a sign
on the wall in front of the 2nd floor elevator when you arrive.

Room 260 is almost directly in front of you as you exit the second-floor
elevator.

MISCELLANEOUS

About the Air Capital Linux Users Group
---------------------------------------

ACLUG was created in early 1998 as a group to help people discover
better ways to take advantage of modern computing through the use of
Linux.  All ACLUG events are free; we have hosted two free Linux
installation events, during which Linux was installed on dozens of
computers for no charge.  We would like to show the benefits of Unix
operating systems such as Linux to as many people as possible.  ACLUG
members range from people just starting out with computers and Linux
to those that have written parts of the Linux system or are doing
computer research under the Linux platform.

About Linux
-----------
Linux is a modern, fully 32- and 64-bit operating system that runs on
a wide variety of hardware.  Its most popular use is on PC-style
hardware, where Linux can completely replace Windows 95, Windows 98,
or NT.  Linux sports astounding reliability, power, flexibility,
scalability, and networking.  Linux is the most popular OS for
Internet servers, beating NT.  Linux also works on less-expensive
computers than NT.

Linux is developed by a worldwide team of programmers: individuals,
companies, and universities using the Internet.  All source code is
available, allowing peer review -- which is important for an operating
system.

ACLUG would like to show you the benefits of Linux for home and
business use.  Feel free to attend one of our meetings or ask
questions about Linux at aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  You may also examine the
archives of previous discussions on our discussion lists at
http://www.complete.org/mailinglists/archives/ or join the list;