Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new internet service!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new internet service!
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 21:00:06 -0600 (CST)

On 26 Dec 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> Well, I'm not sure that this latest incident was not just normal spam,

You're going to get more and more normal spam... I run a listserver with
over thirty lists and manage four of them myself.  Too many people don't
care or don't know that they're spamming mailing lists nowdays.  Have just
one unsuspecting soul post your mailing list address on Usenet or put it
on a web page and you're on the lists for life.  My oldest mailing list
gets an average of four spams a day... the only useful solution, IMO,
is to disallow posting by non-subscribers.  (Filtering incoming mail with
a competent spam filter adds to overhead.)  It creates a slight
inconvenience to subscribers who read at one address and post from others,
but most list servers can deal with it in a more or less reasonable
manner.

It's my opinion that anybody not subscribed to the mailing list has no
reason to be posting to it anyway.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
A bit of tolerance is worth a megabyte of flaming.