Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: IDE Hard Drives

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: IDE Hard Drives
From: Tony Scarpelli <tony@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:22:29 -0600

I am a var and sell about 10-30 drives a month and I have only seen about
1% or less of any drive come back.  I usually see Western Digital but I
think that is because they sell more than anyone.  I did get a batch of
Samsung that were all bad (3o r 3) but that could have been the special
deal I got from that fly by night company?  good price!~@#$%^&

I agree, I think they are all remarkably reliable to the point it is hard
to make your self backup.  Even me and I know better.  I just rma's a 6.8
gig maxtor after using it for 1 year.  lost 3 gig of nice mp3's.  God I
hated to loose that.  never felt I should backem up since they were free.

now I wish I had.

anyway this is the first maxtor I have ever rma'ed

like the argument over scsi or IDE.  Scsi is supposed to be more reliable?
 many people say not?  Seagate engineer said to buy drives based on
measurable performance differences because the level of quality is so close
as not to be ascertainable differences between scsi and IDE.  if that is
true, is the same true with differences between manufacturers?

On Sunday, December 19, 1999 5:21 PM, Dale W Hodge