Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: GNOME sound <update>

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: GNOME sound <update>
From: "David H. Spurlock" <DHS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:06:43 -0600

I got my sound to work with KDE, gnome, Enlightenment, and WindowMaker in
RedHat6.0. Last night, RedHat blew up on me. Everything was OK until I did a
normal log-out of KDE. It should have dropped me down to KDM but the display
was mostly black with a few vertical blue stripes. I tried Ctrl-Alt-Blspc &
Ctrl-Alt-F1 to no avail. I forced the reboot but the filesystem took a hit.
I ran fsck which repaired the errors. It booted OK and I could run gnome but
not KDE. I reinstalled KDE from the RPM's on the CD. KDE still would not
come up.

I then reinstalled COL2.3 instead of RH. I think this ignorant AST computer
is jinxed, cursed, or junk. I have never seen such an issue with a forced
reboot killing the filesystem like I have since migrating to Linux. Mind
you, I know that it is not a good thing. Sometimes, you just got to.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Regards,

David Spurlock
Senior Technican