Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Another school question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Another school question
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:25:00 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Patrick R. Klee wrote:

>     If those of you who have degrees could tell me which is better, a
> four year degree at WSU?  Or, a two year degree at VoTech?  I heard some
> companies like Boeing and LSI Logic are hiring people with BS degrees in
> computer science.  I am going back to school in a month and was
> wondering which would be better, going back to WSU or going to VoTech?

A four-year degree will get you more respect, open more doors, and get you
more money.  It takes longer to earn and can get a lot more
frustrating... but that's why it gets you more respect.  That and you get
a more "rounded" education.

Places like LSI won't hire non-degreed applicants into the
"good" positions.  You can get a job out here without a degree, but it
probably won't be technical.  You can get a job here with a 2-year
degree... but it'll probably be as a technician and not an engineer.  (As
a systems administrator, I'm considered an "engineer".)  Engineers make
more money.

If you have any real choice in the matter, I say go for the BS in
CS.  Don't wimp out and get the "easier" BA (Business Calculus instead of
Calc I, Calc II and (Calc III | Linear Algebra).  You may never *use* all
that calculus (I don't ever plan to) but you'll find a lot of doors are
closed to you if you have a BA instead of a BS... the BS includes a lot
more hours in the CS field, where the BA has a lot more electives.  Every
opening I've considered out here (I've looked at changing
positions) required a BS in CS or CE.

Just my opinion... but I think that you'll never regret getting a 4-year
degree, despite the effort it takes.  But there's a chance of regretting
that 2-year degree, especially if it's not applicable to later finishing a
4-year degree when you find the 2-year degree isn't opening the doors you
want it to.

Caveat... years of experience outweighs the degree.  Twenty years from
now, the fact that you have a degree might not matter at all.  But it's
hard to get that experience without having the degree to get you in the
door and you'll get paid less in the meantime.

(Am I a money-grubbing coder, just in it for the bucks?  No.  But I figure
if I've gotta work for a living, I might as well be making as much as I
can doing something I like.)

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Gimme another clip--we're gonna change lanes!