Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Samba problems

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Samba problems
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:58:17 -0600

> Okay, I'm having problems with Samba and am not really sure what to do.
>
> I've got a Samba server up and running now, and I have my Win95
> OSR2 client.
> The Win95 client can see the server with the command:
>
>       C:\> net view \\zeppelin
>
> However, I cannot see the server when I use:
>
>       C:\> net view /workstation:music
>
> The latter of these commands DOES show the workstation (nirvana).  I have
> told the Samba server to act as a WINS server (as suggested by the
> BROWSING.txt document in /usr/doc/samba-doc).  I have verified that both
> machines are in the same workgroup.

That works?  On my machine it says to use: net view
/workgroup:<workgroupname>

> What am I missing?
>
> I got this to work once before... long ago... and with only one Windows 95
> machine (other '95 machines on the network still couldn't see the
> server in
> the workgroup).
>
> I hope I'm missing something obvious.

How do you have this portion of your smb.conf set?

; Please read BROWSING.txt and set the next four parameters according
;       to your network setup. There is no valid default so they are
commented
;       out.
   os level = 3
   domain master = yes
;   local master = no
   preferred master = yes

Also your directorys will have to be set as browseable before you will see
them in network neigborhood.  However, if you know the server and share name
you can still map them to drive letters even when they don't show up.

--dwh

 -
Dale W Hodge  *  dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx *
dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx