Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Home Network

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Home Network
From: Bob_Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:18:05 +0000

Nate wrote:

>     I'm trying to network a couple computers within my home, but I don't
> want them to be in the same room and I'd like to avoid having to throw
> cable.  I only have one phone line with the telephone company, but my
> house has the wiring for another.  Is there a way to utilize the extra
> phone wiring I already have in my house?  I thought maybe I could use
> modems in each computer to do the talking.  Would I be able to share
> files and printers doing it that way?  Is there software that would
> allow this kind of setup to work?  I might be networking a Microsoft
> machine to my Linux machine, so it would have to be something that works
> for both.

Umm...  I don't know if the "nome networking" kits, that allow you to do
exactly what you are talking about are compatable with linux, but it
would be worth a look.  I think 3com (and others) have kits out that
allow you to network two computers using existing phone wires..  I'm
sure they "look" like a standard network card or something...

> What do you think?  Could this work, or am I just smoking pot?

I would not know about that... :)

> Any other ideas that might work easier?

Ever thought of going wireless?  It's a bit more expensive, but I'm sure
you can find adapters that would be linux compat...

--
      -=  Bob =-
Hey.. This is my mail and I charge for SPAM I receive...