Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Laptop help

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Laptop help
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:04:49 -0500

Okay, I'll try to keep this clear.

Got a new laptop, an Acer Travelmate 512DX, the choice of
which was not mine. It's a loaner from Friends.

Got Partition Magic and created a second primary partition.

Tried to install RedHat 6.0. Install went okay. When it
went to reboot after installing it crashed about half way
through with a general protection fault (I've never seen
one of those with linux). I could not get it to boot at
all, even into single user mode. At least I tried everything
that I knew to try.

Well, then it was to the internet in search of help/info.
At the linux on laptops page I found a write up on this
particular laptop. According to the author, the problem
is with the APM function in linux clashing with the laptop's.
It went on to tell that RH6.0 and Caldera couldn't be
installed, but that he was able to get RH 5.2 to install and
work fine. I didn't have 5.2 so I installed 5.1. It installed
okay and booted okay. The problem is that in X I can't get
a resolution above the virtual 320x200. None of the machine's
hardware was listed in the 5.1 install and with a laptop
there's no seperate "+" key to try to change resolutions.

I am hesitant to spend much time updating libraries and kernels
to get from 5.1 to 6.0 without APM. It was suggested that if
a precompiled kernel, that doesn't have APM, could be inserted
after, or during, a 6.0 install that things should be fine.

So, my first question is, does an install program (RH 6.0) use
a precompiled kernel or does it compile a kernel according to
the packages/features selected during the install process? If
it uses a precompiled kernel would it be possible to replace
the kernel with APM with one that's without APM and burn a new
install CD to use to install without APM? Failing that, has
anyone got any ideas about how to switch kernels after installing,
but before it crashes at reboot? I didn't think that I could
do it under winblows, it's a dual boot machine. Am I wrong?
Any good ideas about how to get it to boot without GPF'ing?

The second bunch of questions follows. I ordered the Debian 2.1,
4 CD set, from cheapbytes. The guy on linux on laptops didn't
try it and I found several references to Debian being the most
laptop friendly distro. Perhaps those of you familiar with
Debian could tell me if it will allow me to install without
APM? Should I just wait until it gets here and use it? I think
that I could handle Debian after having some experience using
Red Hat. Would Debian be a better way to go on a laptop?

I really want to get a recent kernel running on this machine
so that I can go ahead and start tilting at the sound and
ethernet windmills. I think that I can overcome those problems
once I get it working, and X working, right.

That brings up one more question. What file, and what part of
that file, would one edit to get X to start right into a
suitable resolution? I played around with a couple of them to
no avail. Any help in this area? If I could get X configured
I could go ahead and start updating libraries and kernels to
get current. Would installing the xconf.rpm from the RH 6.0
CD help any?

Well, enough for now. Any and all help or suggestions will be
greatfully appreciated.

Wayne

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of
servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go
home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your
chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that
ye were our countrymen. -- Samuel Adams, speech at the
Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776.