Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Home Network

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Home Network
From: Nate <njcozzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:39:03 -0500

Check out the Tut HomeRun.  It's the perfect little gizmo for the home
networker who doesn't want to lay ethernet cable all over his rental/temporary
house.  It's an external box that takes the other end of your ethernet cable,
and then plugs into your phone line.  It converts the signal to a 2Mhz signal
that doesn't interfere with normal phone service, so it can operate over the
top of your ISP connection or voice conversation.  It'll give you 1Mbps.
There's an internal and an external version.  The internal has an ethernet card
built-in.  ZDNet didn't give it rave reviews at first because they were looking
at the cost of having to buy ethernet cards for every computer.  For those of
us that already have them though, this is great because it doesn't matter what
operating systems you're trying to connect.  If it can use ethernet, it can use
this little jobby.  The down side is that this is still new technology and it's
still a little pricy.  I pretty well spelled it all out, but if you want more,
check out this link.

http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,340012,00.html

Nate Cozzens