Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Home Network

To: ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Home Network
From: Nate <njcozzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:55:44 -0500

    I'm trying to network a couple computers within my home, but I don't
want them to be in the same room and I'd like to avoid having to throw
cable.  I only have one phone line with the telephone company, but my
house has the wiring for another.  Is there a way to utilize the extra
phone wiring I already have in my house?  I thought maybe I could use
modems in each computer to do the talking.  Would I be able to share
files and printers doing it that way?  Is there software that would
allow this kind of setup to work?  I might be networking a Microsoft
machine to my Linux machine, so it would have to be something that works
for both.

What do you think?  Could this work, or am I just smoking pot?

Any other ideas that might work easier?

Thanks,
Nate Cozzens