Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] IPMasq problems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] IPMasq problems
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 23:15:39 -0500

Well, I finally got a Linux system set up as a server for my small network
at home. I had some help in getting pppd and IP masquerading set up, so
when I need internet access from any computer on the network, it
automatically dials up my ISP, and shares the connectivity to every machine
on the network.

This was just set up within the last week, and it worked for about a day.
Then, it stopped working. It will still dial up and connect, but DNS
doesn't work for any machine other than the server. If I know a specific IP
address to something on the internet, I can still access it from the other
computers on the network.

To add more confusion to the situation, it worked one more time. I had
recompiled the kernel a few days later and rebooted, and it worked once,
then never again. I have tried rebooting the server and the other machines
several times before and after rebuilding the kernel, but that is the only
time it has worked. (I know rebooting shouldn't matter with Linux - it is a
habit I aquired from other OSes...)

Any suggestions? Is there any other info I should have included?

Thanks,
John