Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: An early christmas gift...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: An early christmas gift...
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Oct 1999 19:02:09 -0500

Hello Patrick,

I am always glad to see Linux gaining more ground.  However, I am
unsure that this is really best for our community.  Has ACLUG been
failing to address the needs of the newer people?  If so, I believe it
would be FAR better to address the issue with ACLUG itself than to
splinter the group.  For instance, more meetings could be added, etc.
Notice how the committee has planned a network workshop, and has
planned two upcoming meetings to appeal to the new user.

As I told you in e-mail, Patrick, ACLUG does not need a split right
now, especially since the group is still in a time of transition.  It
is far better for everyone if we don't separate into "beginner" and
"advanced" groups; the beginners, for instance, benefit from the
knowledge of the more advanced people.  The more advanced people, too,
benefit from the participation of the beginners.

Furthermore, I am somewhat disappointed that you went out and did this
out of the blue after promising me that you would not, and after I
took the time to write you a several-page-long e-mail describing the
issues and asking for your input on how to improve ACLUG, which you
did not send.  Also I don't quite understand why you need a separate
Free Linux Install, and why you have no link to aclug.org.

After we have started to work well with the FreeBSD people, it is a
bit surprising to me to find some Linux people don't want to work with
us.  Can you please let us know why?

-- John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 128,800,277th prime number is 2,659,408,159.