Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
full disk (Re: [aclug-L] Flaky Netscape 4.61 causes disk probs(?))

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: full disk (Re: [aclug-L] Flaky Netscape 4.61 causes disk probs(?))
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:27:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Michael Holmes wrote:

> It seems all the hard drive space I free'd up, was sucked up in
> just a week's time.  I do not know what is up, but I've run out of
> stuff in the root directory to delete.  Gnome will not close on its

'Toast gnome' is my advice O:)
I'm also worried that you may now be missing system files.
If you can reinstall, I'd say go that route.  If nothing else, boot up
into single user mode and investigate your filesystem.  Paste your
/etc/fstab here and we can be more specific -- I'm wondering if your
/tmp or /var is full.  If you can get a du -sx /* going, that'll point
you in the right direction.

With the root partition that full, programs that try to use /var or
/tmp (if they're on /) will start croaking.

-jeff
--
If you want to know what god thinks of money, just look at the people
he gave it to.  -- Dorothy Parker