Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Flaky Netscape 4.61 causes disk probs(?)

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Flaky Netscape 4.61 causes disk probs(?)
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:35:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 Larry_Bottorff@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm having problems with my Mandrake/RH6.0. I'm using KDE and recently
> installed Netscape 4.61. Periodically it gives "bus error" and
> disappears (if started in shell), or simply disappears in the middle of
> something like logging in with Netscape Mail. Once, after a boot-up
> forced disk check, lots of inode problems were found, and I had to
> manually run fsck in some emergency status to repair them all. I kept
> seeing Netscape files being fixed. But maybe the two aren't related.

        Unless you are running Netscape as root, they probably aren't
related.  If you are not running as root, Netscape has no power to damage
your file system.  We use the 4.0x series of Netscape for LINUX, which is
(IMHO)  more reliable than the 4.5/4.6 series.  The one I often install
here is:

communicator-v408-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0_glibc.tar.gz

Works so-so on Debian 2.1.  Crashes or freezes up once in a while.

                                Hope this helps,

                                Tom Wallis

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx