Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
RE: [aclug-L] Automount questions:

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] Automount questions:
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:11:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, David Carmichael wrote:

>> I am getting there....but how does one get a networked drive to auto mount
>> in both ROOT and USER settings?

Ok, let's clarify the situation. Let's call the two computers <this>
and <that>. <that> has the drive/partition that you want to mount.
Make sure it's being exported.  (If you can mount it as root on <this>
computer, then it's being exported).

Now, you want to let any user mount (and presumably unmount) <that>'s
partition?  I'm not sure, but you can try putting the 'user' keyword
in /etc/fstab on the line with <that>/partition.  If that doesn't
work, go back to my original plan: automount. I believe the package is
called 'autofs'; I don't use it at home here, so I can't be any more
specific.  (A quick look says that autofs-3.1.3-7.src.rpm was put up
on Sept 7). The idea is that you set up a config file that says what
directories are automounted, and where they are.

Grab the rpm/deb/tar and read the manpage/docs with it; if you need
more help after that, let us know.

-jeff
--
"It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to program.
What fun is there in making plans, acquiring discipline in organizing