Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] roadrunner login

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ltillem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] roadrunner login
From: "Bryan A. Nelson" <bryanan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:22:38 -0500

> > I have a software package called rrlogind-2.32, which builds and runs.
The
> > first thing one does with rrlogind-2.32 is to run a program called
rrconf,
> > which asks for account name, password, and server name. I don't have the
> > server name (I've guessed ams-server, but get a "connection refused"
from
> > there). The other little clue is that rrlogind is listening to port
7770,
> > which as an arbitrary number could well be wrong (i.e., it works in
south
> > Maine, but not here).

There are two different versions of rrlogind (I think).  Which version you
use depends on how the cable company has their system setup.  If I sound
vague, it's because I'm not sure exactly how it works.  What I do know is
that you need the version of rrloingd that can be found at:

http://members.xoom.com/AustinRob/

Also, here are some other links that may be useful:
http://www.vortech.net/rrlinux/

http://people.qualcomm.com/karn/rr/index.html

> > Has anyone out there already licked this problem? (The login server name
> > and the port number should be constant across all Kansas users.)

If I look in /etc/rc.d/init.d/rrlogin it tells me that the logon server is
called "logon-server", if that helps.

There are directions for getting things setup in redhat 6.0, but reading
through some of the stuff, some people have had problems with the newer
kernel or the dhcp client.  I am using the older kernel (2.0.36) and
everything works okay.  I can access account management from win98 and
linux.

bryan