Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] roadrunner login

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] roadrunner login
From: Tom Hull <ltillem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:00:58 -0500

Hi,

I've just moved back to Wichita, after slumming in the NYC/Boston environs
for >20 years. I've done Unix programming for 18 years, going back to V7.
Most of those years I worked on SGI/IRIX, but I've been dabbling with Linux
for four years or so. I've written some free software (Ftwalk), and some
articles. I'm looking forward to participating in ACLUG.

But right now I have a pressing problem. I'm trying to get the cable modem
(Roadrunner) all set up. I'm running Red Hat 6 (2.2.5). I have eth1 set up,
DHCP working, and have pretty good Internet access (telnet, ftp, http, etc.).
What I don't have working is login to Roadrunner's member services, which
should allow me to set up additional email accounts, a web page, etc.

I have the account name and password. This does work for accessing mail
through pop-server@xxxxxxxxxxx, so I can be accessed at ltillem@xxxxxxxxxxx.
I have a software package called rrlogind-2.32, which builds and runs. The
first thing one does with rrlogind-2.32 is to run a program called rrconf,
which asks for account name, password, and server name. I don't have the
server name (I've guessed ams-server, but get a "connection refused" from
there). The other little clue is that rrlogind is listening to port 7770,
which as an arbitrary number could well be wrong (i.e., it works in south
Maine, but not here).

Has anyone out there already licked this problem? (The login server name
and the port number should be constant across all Kansas users.)

If not, I'll try working myself through Roadrunner's labrynthine phone
system. Thanks.

--
/*
 * Tom Hull