Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
[aclug-L] sound & modem config

To: ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] sound & modem config
From: Jeremy King <jmking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:10:20 -0500

I'm using a Dell Latitude running RH 6.0 for virtually all of my computing
tasks--including taking notes in class at WSU.  It works well for this, except
for the fact that I've never found a way to turn off the standard system beep.
In the interest of not annoying my teachers, is there some way I could disable
the system speaker completely?  The Neomagic sound hardware is not supported by
Linux, but the "error" beep seems to be independently generated.

Also, I've been able to set up ppp using KDE's kppp utility.  I can connect to
my ISP by running kppp as root, but when I do this as a normal user kppp
responds: "Sorry, can't open modem".  How do I grant permission to the normal
user to establish a ppp connection?

Jeremy