Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] sound & modem config

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] sound & modem config
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:02:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Jeremy King wrote:

> is there some way I could disable the system speaker completely?

In hardware or software? If you want to open the case, you could
disconnect the lines.  If you want a software solution, try looking
through /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound, maybe at dmasound.c

> Also, I've been able to set up ppp using KDE's kppp utility.  I
> can connect to my ISP by running kppp as root, but when I do this
> as a normal user kppp responds: "Sorry, can't open modem".  How do
> I grant permission to the normal user to establish a ppp
> connection?

There's a flag USERCTL in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0.
But if you're getting errors trying to open /dev/modem, look at it's
permissions (/dev/ttyS?).

-jeff
--
But in our enthusiasm, we could not resist a radical overhaul of the
system, in which all of its major weaknesses have been exposed, analyzed,