Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Web hosting

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Web hosting
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:51:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Steven Saner wrote:

> The first step is to get the connectivity. This "could" be something
> as simple as a dedicated modem connection (if you can find a provider
> that will give you such an account), but this is low bandwidth and
> unreliable. The major choices right now are ISDN and something like

Does SouthWind no longer do dedicated modems?

While a modem is low-bandwidth, I don't find it terribly unreliable.  Just
terribly expensive for what you're getting.

> Frame-Relay, or Point-to-Point digital circuits. At some point ADSL
> might be an option, but it might not be either. Depending on where you

Bell is, as I understand it, supposedly not going to offer ADSL in a
high-outgoing, low-incoming configuration.  (Nor will they offer SDSL.)
That makes it pretty much useless for running a site off of.

> I would recommend that you choose a provider and talk with a
> representative there to see what options you have and get some price
> quotes. Regardless, you are probably looking at several hundred
> dollars per month.

I'm paying $180 a month for a 33.6 modem.  128K ISDN through UUNET is
about double that.  And anything else just gets ridiculously expensive.

I'm watching for Roadrunner's SOHO service... rumor has it that it'll cost
less than my dedicated modem (like $100 less) and be faster out-bound than
ISDN.

> Once you have connectivity, the rest is basically easy. You have to get
> your domain registered and decided who is going to do authoritative
> DNS (you or your provider). Once DNS is set up, then just set up your
> web server.

Relatively easy.  Half of the admins out there really don't know how to
set up DNS properly.  (You should see my logs and the number of MX records
pointing at CNAME records.)  Running just web and email can take up enough
of an administrators time.  And keeping up on security will take up the
rest of your time. :)

--
Carl (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)