Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Web hosting

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Web hosting
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:55:22 -0500

The first step is to get the connectivity. This "could" be something
as simple as a dedicated modem connection (if you can find a provider
that will give you such an account), but this is low bandwidth and
unreliable. The major choices right now are ISDN and something like
Frame-Relay, or Point-to-Point digital circuits. At some point ADSL
might be an option, but it might not be either. Depending on where you
are at, ISDN is probably a bit cheaper to set up, but you are limited
to 128K bandwidth. If you think that you will need more in the future,
a fractional T1 frame-relay or point-to-point circuit might be
best. Assuming that you get the proper equipment, changing from 128K
to 256K to 512K to full T1 is simply a matter of flipping a couple
switches on your CSU/DSU and paying your provider for the additional
bandwidth. No additional equipment would be needed.

I would recommend that you choose a provider and talk with a
representative there to see what options you have and get some price
quotes. Regardless, you are probably looking at several hundred
dollars per month.

Once you have connectivity, the rest is basically easy. You have to get
your domain registered and decided who is going to do authoritative
DNS (you or your provider). Once DNS is set up, then just set up your
web server.

For dedicated service, I don't know who all in town can provide
that. I do know that SouthWind does and our representative would be
happy to speak with you about it.

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 08:31:45AM -0500, Sanjay Dhar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to get my own domain name for an e-commerce business that I'm
> working on the side. I know that there are a lot of web sites/servers out
> there that will host my domain. Does anybody know how I can go about
> hosting my own domain on my Linux box so that I am connected 24/7 to the
> internet?
>
> TIA

>       SANJAY DHAR
>
>       sxdhar@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>       http://www.cs.twsu.edu/~sxdhar

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963