Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] HELP..modem problem..port already assigned.

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] HELP..modem problem..port already assigned.
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:16:39 -0500

>I suggest the use of Redhat 6 instead of Linux 6.

Yeah, while the rest of us are running 2.2, or maybe 2.3 for the bolder of
us, Mike's blazing into the stratsphere of Linux pre-releases with pre6.0.
<g>

This kind of thing is why I still love PC cards with jumpers on 'em. You set
the resources it uses and you don't have any conflicts (unless you made a
mistake). This plug & play stuff always seems to be problematic.

Mike, one option might be to go into the bios and disable another device,
like maybe COM2 or LPT2, to free up an IRQ & COM port that you can
consistantly get. I had to do that on one system I worked on. Kind of a
weird deal on that one, 'cause the modem had straps for COM/IRQ, but it only
let you use certain ones. I had to a couple of onboard devices which
fortunately weren't being used, so I turned 'em off and swiped their
identity. Maybe you could do something like that.

Greg