Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
[aclug-L] Meeting Announcement

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Meeting Announcement
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:42:16 -0500 (CDT)

         --== Air Capital Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS ==--
                          http://www.aclug.org/

EVENT SUMMARY
=============

Tuesday,  August 17, 1999 (ACLUG meeting)       http://www.aclug.org/events/
Contact:  aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Location: 7:00/7:30 PM in 260 Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
          This event is free and open to the public.  Please forward this
          message to anyone you feel may be interested in attending.

Monday,   August 30, 1999                       http://www.aclug.org/events/
Contact:  aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Location: 7:00/7:30 PM in 260 Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
          This event is free and open to the public.  Please forward this
          message to anyone you feel may be interested in attending.

IN THIS BULLETIN
================

 * ACLUG meeting on Tuesday, August 17
 * ACLUG meeting on Monday, August 30
 * Other business and discussions
 * Meeting schedule
 * Upcoming events
 * When to arrive: Meeting format
 * How to find us: Location information and links to maps
 * Contacts, Background information on ACLUG, and miscellaneous

ACLUG meeting: Tuesday, August 17
=================================
 The planned topic for this meeting is Firewalling. For those of you
connected to the net, and especially those with Cable Modems, firewalling is
a means of protecting your system from unauthorized intruders. Jeff
Schaller will be the speaker.

 Additionally, as time permits and if there is interest, we can also
lightly cover basic networking with SAMBA, IP Masquerading, and getting
your Linux box connected to the internet - both manually and with diald.

Also planned is a discussion on our meeting schedule. The room our meeting
is normally held in will be in use on Tuesday nights this semester. We
will need to either find an alternate meeting place or change the day of
the week for the second meeting of the month.

 Finally, we will discuss Linux Demo Day, ask for suggestions,
and ask for volunteers to man the booth.

ACLUG Meeting: Monday, August 30
================================
 Due to the Labor Day holiday, this meeting has been moved forward one week
from the usual first Monday of the Month.

 The topic of this meeting is Package tools and tar.  Items to be discussed
are the Red Hat RPM package tools; the Debian dselect, apt, and dpkg
package tools; and the use of the 'tar' command to install software not
packaged for your distribution.  The use of 'alien' to convert from one
package format to another will also be discussed.

Speakers for this meeting will be Tom Wallace and Tyler Doubravo.

Linux Demo Day: Saturday, September 18
======================================

 Aclug is planning to participate in Linux Demo Day, where we will be
showing off the Linux operating system at a location TBA.
 Volunteers should contact Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>.

From the website:
        Project Summary

                    The purpose of the Linux Demo Day project is to
        coordinate a concurrent worldwide demonstration of the Linux
        Operating System to the casual computer user who may only have
        heard of Linux but has never seen it and to those that are not
        even aware that there is an alternative to running a Microsoft
        operating system. What this translates to is LUGs throughout the
        world setting up demonstrations of Linux at shopping malls,
        schools, places of work, or wherever they feel would be
        appropriate for their LUG. In addition to just demonstrating
        Linux, the LUGs will also handout pamphlets that point visitors
        towards more information about Linux.

Here is the flyer which can be d/l from:
http://www.linuxdemo.org/docs/flyer.pdf

Other Business