Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] How to dual-boot Windows 95 and Linux RedHat 6.0

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How to dual-boot Windows 95 and Linux RedHat 6.0
From: "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 18:28:10 -0500

Patrick Klee wrote:

> Greetings,
>     I asked a question but didn't get a reply, I probably didn't word it
> right so I will try again.  I had RedHat 5.2, and successfully
> configured internet.  I have a PPP Dial-Up account with Feist.  Then I
> bought RedHat 6.0, and I did the same things with 6.0 as I did with 5.2,
> but now, I can't get either 5.2 or 6.0 to work with internet, I used
> Usernet and the Control-Panel to successfully configure everything, but
> I'm figuring, if I can't get Internet to run on Linux, I will be upset.
> However, how do I find out what COM port my modem is working under in
> DOS, maybe that might help.  Any help is a appriciated.
> Thanks,
> Patrick

"pppd" and "chat" are difficult if you don't understand how they work
together.
Read the "ISP-HOWTO" and "PPP-HOWTO".
There are many ways to get ppp going.

A quick way is to use the program "kppp" (part of KDE). It works under
GNOME also.
Comment out "everything" in the /etc/ppp/options file with a leading "#" on
each line.
Read the kppp FAQ (hit the help button).
You may have to add the prefix "~~~+++~~~" to the hayes "at" commands to
get your modem to pick up if it is an external model.
Configure the usual stuff like "nameserver address".

To determine which serial port your modem is useing, type on an xterm:

cu -l ttyS0 -s 115200
at
<ctrl> c

If you recieved an "OK" after typing "at", then your modem is on ttyS0.
If this didn't work, try the same thing except use ttyS1, ttyS2, etc...
until you get a response.

This should work.
If not, read the howtos to give you insight on what might be wrong.