Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] DNS & hostname

To: "Air Capital Linux Users Group" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] DNS & hostname
From: "Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 14:51:52 -0500

If I have the registered domain, troywolf.com (which I do), and I want people to be able to ftp to my ftp server using 'ftp.troywolf.com', does the ftp server have to have the name ftp.troywolf.com or is this simply a function of the dns registration for ftp.troywolf.com?  ie, is all the matters that in the DNS, ftp.troywolf.com points to the IP address of my ftp server?

I didn't word this very well, but if you can decipher what I'm asking and can help, please do!  Thanks!

Troy