Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] DNS & hostname

To: Air Capital Linux Users Group <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] DNS & hostname
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:22:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Jeff wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Troy Wolf wrote:
>
> > If I have the registered domain, troywolf.com (which I do), and I want
> > people to be able to ftp to my ftp server using 'ftp.troywolf.com',
> > does the ftp server have to have the name ftp.troywolf.com
>
> not necessarily
>
> > or is this simply a function of the dns registration for
> > ftp.troywolf.com?
>
> It's a function of DNS, yes. You point 'ftp.troywolf.com' to whatever
> machine/IP you like; your nameserver will be the one that's asked about
> it. You don't need to register ftp.troywolf.com.

To further expand on this: you are adding a CNAME (Canonical Name) to the
dns records. Think of this as an alias.  A machine can have several
CNAMEs. (like www. ftp. ns. or whatever) But CNAMES are not legal host
names for email addresses. (Though some idiot has probably done this)

Your domain space (zone) is troywolf.com.  Everything to the left of
'troywolf.com' refers to host (machine) names. These are handled by
entries in your dns zone file.

So as Jeff said, it's not a matter of registering ftp.troywolf.com, it's
just a matter of changing the records in your zone file to point
ftp.troywolf.com to troywolf.com.

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.sktc.net/~dwh, www.dnd.ddns.org
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a