Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Networks and mail servers

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Networks and mail servers
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:08:18 -0500 (CDT)

ok a few things I noticed

> # Our domain
> domain          guernseyaviation.com
> #
> # Our nameserver is cad2
> nameserver 192.168.168.5
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> search cad2.guernseyaviation.com guernseyaviation.com

is cad2 192.168.168.5? cause your using 192.168.168.5 and your local host
as name servers.

The search just means that if you just list a host without a Fully
Qualified Domain name, it will try these domains

ie with your setup.

if you
        ping myhost
it will first try to ping myhost.cad2.guernseyaviation.com then if that
doesn't work it will try myhost.guernseyaviation.com.

I'm not sure how this works with /etc/hosts and such

--
Clint Brubakken
Computer Science Services Group, LLC

                --Homer Simpson