Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Networks and mail servers

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Networks and mail servers
From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 17:35:11 -0500

I don't have DNS setup on the server and have spent most of today trying
to get it working.  The server is for a stand alone network and at the
moment, won't be connect to the Internet.  I'm not sure where to start
asking questions, but I can't get the machine to be a name server.  It
does see localhost as a nameserver, but I can't get into our network.
The resolv.conf file is:

# Our domain
domain          guernseyaviation.com
#
# Our nameserver is cad2
nameserver 192.168.168.5
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search cad2.guernseyaviation.com guernseyaviation.com

When I run nslookup, I get this error:

cad2:/etc# nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.168.5: Server failed
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

I can provide more files if needed.

Thanks,