Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] box rebuilt now a few questions: telnet, MTA, and lpr

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] box rebuilt now a few questions: telnet, MTA, and lpr
From: "spiff" <spiff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 14:55:11 -0500

Ok, last night's reinstall from scratch was pretty uneventful, repartitioned
the hard drive to give perhaps a better layout.  (THANK YOU for mailing list
archives, I knew it had been discussed before and the layouts mentioned
helped a lot)

One thing I disliked about this fresh install is the point where during the
install it asks one to choose what type of system it will be (i.e. base,
network, dialup, etc.).  I chose dialup thinking that it would pretty much
install a minimal system with dialout capabilities.  BOY WAS I WRONG!  It
installed about five X servers, several chess programs, and a bunch of other
stuff.  Who needs half of that just to dial out?  Anyway, a note to self:
***In the future, skip this step and just choose what you want from dselect.
It will save a lot of time spent pruning out unwanted stuff.***

So far, a lot of things seem to be working properly, which is great! The one
thing I did notice already is for some reason I cannot allow someone else to
telnet into my machine.  I have looked at hosts.allow, hosts.deny, and
login.access and didn't really see much that looked like it should prevent
login.  Did change a line in login.access from All: PARANOID to being
basically commented out.  Also checked inetd.conf and it appears to allow
telnet.  Anyone have a clue what is going wrong?  When I attempt to telnet
to the IP address assigned by my ISP, I get escape character is :[gobelty
gook] (think it is basically saying [ctrl] [c]) waits a bit, then says
connection closed by foreign host.  Now this is the result from doing it
locally on this machine, but I have been told it is similar for say a friend
trying to telnet in.  I used to be able to do it, what is different now?

Still have not set up any email capabilities yet, so for now booting to NT
is the email solution.  Used sendmail in the past, but have gotten mixed
reviews on that.  Some say it is overkill, others swear by it.  Any thoughts
on the subject?

Now for lpr.  I have used it, and it printed, however I do recall needing to
 redo magicfilter to support my Cannon BJC 620.  Anyone know where the most
recent list of printer drivers is?

TIA,
Seth

sorry for length...