Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] box rebuilt now a few questions: telnet, MTA, and lpr

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] box rebuilt now a few questions: telnet, MTA, and lpr
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 May 1999 20:24:32 -0500

"spiff" <spiff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> So far, a lot of things seem to be working properly, which is great! The one
> thing I did notice already is for some reason I cannot allow someone else to
> telnet into my machine.  I have looked at hosts.allow, hosts.deny, and
> login.access and didn't really see much that looked like it should prevent
> login.  Did change a line in login.access from All: PARANOID to being

OK, first thing: make sure that they're telnetting to the proper IP
address.  /sbin/ifconfig can verify this for you.

Secondly, if they are, then there will be something in
/var/log/daemon.log.  Take a look there for clues.

> reviews on that.  Some say it is overkill, others swear by it.  Any thoughts
> on the subject?

It's probably overkill for you.  I swear by it, but then I host mail
for several domains, route to some UUCP boxen, use RBL, act as a
backup server for another person, etc.  In other words: sendmail is
the most versatile mail server out there, but you probably don't need
the versatility.

> Now for lpr.  I have used it, and it printed, however I do recall needing to
>  redo magicfilter to support my Cannon BJC 620.  Anyone know where the most
> recent list of printer drivers is?

The Ghostscript homepage, http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/, has a list
someplace.

-- John