Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Video problems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Video problems
From: Craig Terhune <craigter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:38:56 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:

> Craig Terhune <craigter@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I'm running RH 5.2 and upon existing X the screen is filled with non
> > readable characters. If you know what it says you can log back on.,
> > but it stay's that way until you reboot.
>
> Unfortunately, this is a bug with some video cards or drivers.  You
> may have to be more specific about your hardware here.

I'm using a s3 virg card that was supported in linuxconf. The exact numbers on
the card  don't remember. If you need them I'll reboot and give them to you next
time.

> > My next problem has to do with some text files that I copied over
> > from win 98. The Emacs or ghost will not open them up. Emacs wants a
> > password for an FTP site. I know that the files are there because
> > Gimp will open the bmps that I copied over at the same time.
>
> Well, emacs should definately not be asking for a FTP password unless
> you are really trying to use FTP.  Can you say exactly what steps you
> are taking to try to open this file, and the name of the file?

I copied the files over to a dir. called c:. Then I clicked on the file and
opened it with emacs.

> Then at the bottom of Emacs it say's Passwrd for root@c:

If i type in a password (mine) It say's FTP Error: OPEN request failed: ftp: c:
Unknown host